- About Us
- On Our Shelves
- Signed Pre-Orders
- Indie Next List
- Authors Revealed
Download Author Consignment Policy >>
Anderson’s Bookshops’ Local Author Policy Statement
Thank you for considering our bookshop for placement of your self published book. Because we are approached many times each week by authors hoping we will sell their books, it has become necessary to develop this written explanation of our policies to save time and avoid misunderstanding. What we look for are authors living in the area local to the Anderson’s that you wish to submit your book to, that the books have a broad range of appeal to our customers, and that the authors have strong marketing plans. While we hope yours is a book we can successfully sell, before you leave a copy for review please also consider the following:
- Technology has made publishing easier, often without traditional professional editing, proofreading and evaluation of marketing and distribution. Consequently, the number of books we are asked to review continues to rise dramatically. No bookstore can carry every published title, whether from a major publisher’s list or self published by a local author. And because of the volume of submissions we get, we do limit how many new books we will accept in any given season, the same as we do when buying from the big publishers.
- Many factors influence our decisions on whether to carry a title including subject, production quality, retail price and terms, as well as our judgment of the writing and editing and a local author’s personal plan for marketing. After considering those factors we also need to take into account whether the book will sell to our customers, whose tastes we know from many years experience buying and selling books.
We would love for your book to be successful for both of us. If you want to bring in your book for review after considering the above, please carefully read the policies on the second page as this will explain our terms.
We have a separate review form only available in stores for you to fill in and leave with your book. The information we ask for on that form is to help us evaluate the potential success of your book and the more information you can provide, the better. Time prevents us from being able to read all the book submissions, so the best picture we can get of your book and your marketing plan is from you. Now your focus shifts from that of creative writer to business person wearing all the hats that any small business person does, including advertising, marketing, sales rep, distribution, merchandising, and accounting.
The review form is only available in the stores as we would much rather have a physical copy of your book than an e-mail submission. Hopefully, by providing all the information on our terms, you have the information you need to decide if you would like to submit your book for consideration.
Contract terms to consider, should we accept your book:
1) Mandatory handling fee of $25 which includes placement in a special Local Author Section in store, book added to our website inventory, and a tip sheet of marketing ideas and media contacts. Fee is due at the time of contract signing.
2) Terms are 60% to seller and 40% to Anderson’s and all books are returnable.
3) Books will be carried for 3 months -- after that time a decision will be made whether we will continue to carry the title or we will return it. We have a limited amount of shelf space so time spent in the local author section will depend on the volume of new submissions, and the sales of your book.
4) Author should check sales status by contacting the Manager (e-mail is preferred).
5) Anderson’s Bookshop will not be responsible for the return of review or shelf copies if they are not picked up within 90 days. After that time, the book(s) become the property of Anderson’s and will be donated at our discretion.
6) Payment can be arranged with the Manager once the books start to sell. A check can be mailed within 2-4 weeks, unless other arrangements are made.
7) We need to make room on our Local Authors shelves before we can bring in new titles so if you haven’t heard from us in a few weeks, it could just be that we do not have room at the moment. You can always call to check on the current status of your book.
Thanks for your interest in Anderson’s Bookshop and good luck with your book.
Please contact the manager at the location nearest you. Although sometimes we do carry titles at multiple locations, it isn’t always the case and each store’s manager makes the decision as to which title will be added to their inventory.
Anderson’s Bookshop Downers Grove
5112 Main St, Downers Grove, IL 60515