Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook (Hardcover)
On Our Shelves Now
Become the best cook you know with this playbook of new flavors, new recipes, and new techniques: Milk Street's New Rules, with 200 game-changing recipes driven by simple but transformative insights into cooking.
This revelatory new book from James Beard Award-winning author Christopher Kimball defines 75 new rules of cooking that will dramatically simplify your time in the kitchen and improve your results. These powerful principles appear in more than 200 recipes that teach you how to make your food more delicious and interesting, like:
- Charred Broccoli with Japanese-Style Toasted Sesame Sauce (Rule No. 9: Beat Bitterness by Charring)
- Lentils with Swiss Chard and Pomegranate Molasses (Rule No. 18: Don't Let Neutral Ingredients Stand Alone)
- Bucatini Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Sage (Rule No. 23: Get Bigger Flavor from Supermarket Tomatoes)
- Soft-Cooked Eggs with Coconut, Tomatoes, and Spinach (Rule No. 39: Steam, Don't Boil, Your Eggs)
- Pan-Seared Salmon with Red Chili-Walnut Sauce (Rule No. 44: Stick with Single-Sided Searing)
- Curry-Coconut Pot Roast (Rule No. 67: Use Less Liquid for More Flavor)
- Tenderize tough greens quickly
- Create creamy textures without using dairy
- Incorporate yogurt into baked goods
- Trade time-consuming marinades for quick, bright finishing sauces, and more
The New Rules are simpler techniques, fresher flavors, and trustworthy recipes that just work--a book full of lessons that will make you a better cook.
About the Author
Christopher Kimball's Milk Street is located in downtown Boston--at 177 Milk Street--and is home to a cooking school, a bimonthly magazine, and public television and radio shows. They are the authors of Milk Street: The New Home Cooking, Milk Street: Tuesday Nights, which won both the IACP and James Beard Awards for General Cooking, and Milk Street: The New Rules.
ONE OF THE BEST COOKBOOKS OF THE YEAR
--Chowhound, The Kitchn
"All 200 recipes not only stand alone, but serve to illustrate one of 75 smart cooking rules and hacks that you'll be able to apply when you want to improvise in the kitchen. In the manner of all the best cookbooks, the idea is not just to tell you what to cook, but to teach you how to make meals your own."—Chowhound
"This clever collection of savory dishes illustrates 75 rules, such as using copious amounts of herbs to amp up flavor or incorporating mashed potatoes into dough for a tender crumb... offers dishes that feel modern and international... [a] generous and accessible volume... loaded with information on ingredients... and countless useful tips. Plenty of I-never-thought-of-that-moments fill this enticing and instructive book.—Publishers Weekly
"Highly recommend... Delicious recipes and sound techniques to improve and spice up everyday cooking routines."—Library Journal
"Revises standard culinary practices, honoring time-proven techniques while abandoning rigid constraints... Dishes are light, bright, and vegetable-forward... Kimball's writing, unrivaled for clarity and precision, inspires confidence in every home cook."—New York Journal of Books