Heritage Baking: Recipes for Rustic Breads and Pastries Baked with Artisanal Flour from Hewn Bakery (Bread Cookbooks, Gifts for Bakers, Bakery Recipes, Rustic Recipe Books) (Hardcover)
On Our Shelves Now
".There's nowhere else you can get such good bread made with flour that been so thoughtfully sourced... Here, Ellen shows you how to do it." — Mark Bittman, author of the How to Cook Everything series
A new, fresh take for the home baker's cookbook canon: No matter if you're a novice or expert, Heritage Baking will help you discover the way artisanal flours can add layers of flavor and texture. When combined with a natural starter and long fermentation, these baked goods can even be enjoyed by those who have difficulty with gluten.
• Includes 45 foolproof recipes for delicious, nutritious, good-for-the-gut breads and pastries for a wide range of artisanal flours that are readily available to home bakers
• Find in-depth master tutorials to starters, country loaves, and adjusting recipes for different flours. Plus, step-by-step photography sequences help visual learners get these fundamentals just right
• Recipes include one-of-a-kind rolls, scones, muffins, coffee cake, cookies, brownies, and more so you'll have the perfect recipes to go with breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Heritage Baking is the go-to resource for bakers of all skill levels who love new information and techniques that lead to better loaves and more flavor.
• The recipes in Heritage Baking were developed to spotlight the fresh local flours that are becoming more available to bakers everywhere
• Ellen King is co-owner and head baker at Hewn Bakery in Illinois. Amelia Levin is a cookbook author, food consultant, and writer. John Lee is a food and lifestyle photographer
About the Author
Ellen King is co-owner and head baker at Hewn. She lives in Evanston, Illinois.
Amelia Levin is a cookbook author, food consultant, and writer based in Chicago.
John Lee is a food and lifestyle photographer based in San Francisco.
"Ellen King represents the new breed of bakers: highly educated, intellectually curious, and committed to producing authentic heritage breads from sustainably grown heirloom grains. Heritage Baking is an important contribution to understanding and appreciating the artisan farmer-miller-baker movement in the United States. This beautifully written, lavishly illustrated labor of love is a must-have for any baker who seeks to create honest, authentic and flavorful breads and pastries." -Stanley Ginsberg, author, The Rye Baker
"Why on earth pick up a bag of flour with strange sounding names such as Red Fife, Turkey Red, or Marquis? Allow Ellen King of renowned Hewn Bakery to explain how these heritage varieties add complexity and mesmerizing flavor to your baking." --Maria Speck, award-winning author of Simply Ancient Grains and Ancient Grains for Modern Meals
"Ellen King is one of my favorite bakers, and Hewn is a gem- there's nowhere else you can get such good bread made with flour that been so thoughtfully sourced and handled. Here, Ellen shows you how to do it." -Mark Bittman, acclaimed author of 20+ books, including the How to Cook Everything series