National Geographic Traveler: Washington, DC, 6th Edition (Paperback)
Discover the best of the nation's capital in this trusty travel guide to Washington, D.C. treasures including itineraries for visiting hidden gems, iconic monuments, and world-renowned museums.
National Geographic Traveler Washington, D.C. is a window onto the innumerable treasures of the United States capital and a must-use guide for every visitor. With an introduction on the lifestyle and history of the institutions of the United States, as well as its modern culture, this is an all-you-need-to-know resource about one of the most iconic cities in the world. Throughout, find detailed information about the city's main attractions, including the Capitol, the White House, and the National Mall with its wealth of monuments and museums. Packed with ideas for well-known and beloved destinations as well as hidden gems and locals-only hot spots, this guide provides everything you need to create an itinerary that includes:
- A legendary walking tour of Georgetown,
- President's Park and the White House area,
- Dumbarton Oaks and its splendid gardens,
- The best times to visit the popular selection of 17 Smithsonian museums,
- Bustling Eastern Market with new top-tier restaurants,
- Popular weekend brunch spots,
- Cedar Hill, the former residence of Frederick Douglass,
- And so much more!
Based on personal and professional experience, the photographers and travel experts at National Geographic provide in-depth descriptions of the city's best attractions, as well as all the information you need to get the most out of your visit to each of them.
About the Author
- JOHN THOMPSON has written or contributed to more than a dozen titles for National Geographic Books, including Wildlands of the Upper South and America's Western Edge.
- RICHARD NOWITZ was a contract photographer for National Geographic World (now Kids) magazine and is a contributing photographer to the National Geographic Image Collection. He has been the principal photographer of more than 20 large-format photo and travel guides and in 1968 was honored by the Society of American Travel Writers as Travel Photographer of the Year.
- DIANA PARSELL and JENNY ROUGH updated the 2011 edition and contributed many sidebars. Parsell also wrote "Charting Your Trip."
- KAREN CARMICHAEL updated the 2014 edition.